The One Dance UK 2018 conference will take place on 23 – 24 November in Leeds, delivered in association with Leeds Dance Partnership. Titled ‘Leading the way – a stronger future for dance’, the conference will provide educational and networking opportunities aimed at everyone in the dance sector, from dance artists and choreographers to students, managers, teachers, academics and healthcare practitioners.
The conference will take place across several key dance spaces in Leeds, including Northern Ballet, Yorkshire Dance and Leeds Beckett University. It coincides with the Dance of the African Diaspora Trailblazers Showcase on 23 November and the One Dance UK Awards ceremony on 24 November. This full series of dance will provide a fulfilling experience for those in attendance, suitable for all those involved in dance and the performing arts industry as a whole.
The full conference programme is still in development but highlights will include Sue Hoyle, former Director of the Clore Leadership Programme, as keynote speaker and a range of sessions and workshops including:
– ‘Teaching Toolkit’ sessions to give ideas and skills for teachers to take back to the classroom
– Opportunity for dance teachers to meet representatives from companies about the GCSE syllabus
– Taking the lead on your own career development
– Female leadership in dance and diversity in dance practice
– Juggling caring responsibilities and a career in the performing arts
– Developing choreographic practice in community dance
– The challenge of scheduling class, rehearsals and performances to maximise training and performance outcomes
– Addressing barriers to mental health in training and performance
– Supporting potential at audition and beyond in physical, psychological, nutritional assessment; leading the way in application of dance science to training, performance and healthcare management